Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken is a flavor explosion recipe! It’s simple and easy, topped with yummy crunchy peanuts and green onions, AND your slow cooker or multicooker does all the work!
As a kid, we never had or used a slow cooker or crockpot in my house. So when I moved out I didn’t think I needed one. I moved out last November during what still is an Instant Pot craze, so if I was going to get an electric cooker of some sort, it would definitely be a multicooker. Of course, after my boyfriend discovered how many soups I make, one was under the Christmas tree.
Why multicookers, like my Breville Fast Slow Pro? Honestly, if you could marry an appliance it would be my Fast Slow Pro because you can slow cook, pressure cook, sear, sauté, cook rice, steam, and then you probably can get creative with a bunch of other things.
For this Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken recipe, you can use both a multicooker and a slow cooker, but can you guess what I prefer?
I prefer a multicooker because I can sauté the garlic, ginger and green onions in the cooker itself, whereas in a slow cooker I’d have to sauté them in a pan prior to putting them in the pot (mind you some slow cookers do have a sauté function!). Because of this, I may have lied about this recipe being a one-pan/pot wonder, but I also think you can skip the sautéing step if you’re not feeling it or if you’re in a rush to throw everything in the pot and take off.
P.S. If you watch This Is Us and are on a slow cooker protest, maybe reading this consumer reports article will make you feel better? Or in general, if an appliance is not in use, unplug it!
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 tbsp. neutral oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth (homemade or low-sodium store-bought)
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1-2 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets*
- Rice/Noodles, peanuts and sliced green onion for serving
- With a multicooker on the sauté setting (or in a pan) sauté the green onions, garlic and ginger in the oil over medium heat.
- Transfer to the bowl of a multicooker/slow cooker and add the broth, peanut butter, soy, sambal oelek, and chicken.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- When cooked, either add broccoli and cook for 30 minutes more or microwave the broccoli until tender, about 5 minutes, and add to the chicken.
- Serve with rice or noodles topped with peanuts and green onions.
If you like more heat don't be shy to add more sambal oelek!!!
Did you make this recipe?
I wanna see your tasty creations!
Green links in my posts are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting TBC!