No Superbowl viewing is complete without some wings! This crispy baked chicken wings recipe can be flavoured with a dry rub or coated in buffalo sauce!
Sunday, February 5, 2017 the game to end all games; the Super Bowl to decide which team is the victor of the 2016-2017 NFL season!!! I might be biased towards one team over the other, but my lips are sealed since I want to keep ALL of my readers! However, regardless if you are going for the Pats or the Falcons, I think we can all agree that wings are a must have at any Super Bowl gathering… well any football gathering for the matter!
These wings did go through some tries and tweaks, I have tried them coated in flour for a more crispy coating, placed on aluminum foil or parchment paper, etc. That being said, the chicken skin gets quite crispy by itself and therefore to bake the wings all I believe you need is some oil, salt and pepper and a wire rack – no one wants their wings getting soggy in their own fat!
Now, as pictured above these wings are delicious themselves, they are crispy and delicious ready to dip into whatever you like: sour cream, blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, etc. They are also a great base wing to start experimenting with different types of sauces and coatings! Experiment with some dry rubs, or store bought sauces to coat them after cooking! But, in my opinion, it wouldn’t be Super Bowl Sunday without some sort of buffalo wing! So sometimes, I coat half or all in an easy-peasy buffalo sauce which I have included with the recipe.
Happy Wing Eating!!! Hope you all enjoy the Super Bowl!
- 5 lbs. chicken wings
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup hot sauce (I like Frank’s Red Hot)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil. Place wire wracks on top.
- In a large bowl, coat the wings with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Place on wire racks and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the wings are cooking, melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the cayenne and pepper.
- Remove from heat and mix in the hot sauce, set aside.
- Once wings are cooked, let cool for 5 minutes and place into a clean large bowl.
- Toss with buffalo sauce and serve with sour cream, ranch/blue cheese dressing or whatever sauce you prefer!
I use aluminum foil for easy clean up, the grease produced while the wings are cooking can sometimes be a challenge to clean! Additionally, wire racks help prevent the wings from getting soggy from sitting in their own grease while cooking; it also allows for better airflow around the wings so that they become nice and crispy!
Did you make this recipe?
I wanna see your tasty creations!