With onions, cilantro, ginger, and curry, there are flavours in this chicken tikka masala recipe that no other adjective other than awesome can be used!
I’ve been quite obsessed with Jamies lately, well only two… Jamie Oliver, which I adapted one of his recipes to make the Classic Carbonara with Zucchini Noodles Recipe from my previous post, and now this Awesome Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe adapted from Jamie’s cookbook Food Revolution… I may also be a little jealous of him due to the fact that he went to see Ed Sheeran in concert (I follow him on instagram ok!) and the tickets in Montreal are sold out without me getting my hands on some!
… And another Jamie I’ve been a bit enthralled with lately? Jamie Fraser from Outlander. I recently started watching and have become totally obsessed with the show (and the accents!) – so much so that I binged watched the first two seasons in a matter of a two weeks! Yup, TWO WEEKS! Now I’m waiting till September for the third season to come out.
Enough about my Jamie obsessions and Outlander since this chicken tikka masala recipe isn’t even Scottish! If you watch Outlander you will get the reference!
About the Recipe:
Curry recipes usually seem extravagant and labour intensive because sometimes they can involve many ingredients. I solve this by using a store bought curry paste. My favourite is Patak’s Tikka Curry Paste, it is always reliable and easy to find at any of the groceries stores around my house. I like using Patak’s because curry powder is a blend of spices, this means that the specific blend can vary from brand to brand or even lot batches of the same brand depending on the intensity of the raw ingredients. So a great way to have a consistent great tasting curry is to use a paste you know, trust and love the flavours.
Little tip: when I make this chicken tikka masala recipe I usually take a nice drive to a local Indian restaurant to pick up a dozen fresh samosas and two naan. Actually, I buy three and eat one in the car on the way home – it’s my little treat for the drive! I suggest you do the same!
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro stalks, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup (about ½ jar) Patak's tikka masala paste
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14oz) coconut milk
- Heat oil on medium-high heat and sauté the onions, ginger and cilantro stalks until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add curry paste and chicken, stirring to coat everything.
- Add tomatoes with their juice and coconut milk, and stir.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer with the lid off until chicken is cooked, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve topped with cilantro leaves and basmati rice.
Did you make this recipe?
Green links in my posts are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting TBC!